6.17.2004

Some days you have to pull out the Jungle Brothers and just deal with the fact you're old, and reminisce about "the good ol' days" of rap.

Nostalgia tends to romanticize, but I know you can make the argument that rap's commercialization was already in full effect by the time the JB's dropped Done by the Forces of Nature. I'll grant you that.

Just don't ask me to stop smiling when I hear "Doin Our Own Thang".

Because that was 1989... "a number/ another summer (git down!)/ sound of a funky drummer/ music hittin ya hard/ cuz i know ya got soul! (brothers and sisters)/" and at age 16, I was diggin' the Native Tongues.

Now, in my old age (31), I've moved from Chuck D on wax to Chuck D on Air America Radio.

"Say word. Word, I'm sayin" (dialogue from Prince Paul's "A Prince Among Thieves").

No comments: