3.18.2003

Last Saturday, I sent an application packet to the good folks at the Cave Canem (CAH-vay CAH-num) Summer Workshop/Retreat. I hope they will let me come and play this June.

I first learned of Cave Canem through Black Issues Book Review three years ago. After much procrastination, I finally got some pieces together, and with the help of the woman I love/who loves me, put together a cover letter that will hopefully convince them I'm worth a spot in next Summer's cohort.

In the meantime, I have a book project to kick into gear. It's about time for the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities to send me a check. Time to really lay out the structure and selection of poems for this first chapbook. I want to come out of the gates full speed. I've been working toward this for years. I can't believe it's finally happening, and I want to make the most of the opportunity. With hard work and help, I'm sure it'll come off well.

The main thing is that it's a step in the right direction. One small step, but a step, nonetheless. Happiness...

No comments: