10.07.2007

Another 10-miler done!

Over 26,000 people entered the 23rd Army Ten Miler.

I had a good race. Although the official results haven't been posted (actually, the race site is down as of this posting), I clocked my Self at 01:41:41:48.

This time around, I ran two miles, then walked, then ran two miles... It was different than last April's Cherry Blossom 10-miler, which I ran in one long stretch. The more I run, the better I am at gauging what my body and mind and spirit need to get from start to finish.


Much love to Marta for getting me to the starting area this morning, and for making me an egg-and-cheese bagel sandwich this afternoon!

Much respect to the veterans and Missing Parts in Action racers. Seeing double-amputees out there brought up plenty of emotions and some anger. But I put that aside and just clapped and said, "Thanks..." as I passed by. After all, most of those kids were kids. I mean baby-faced 18-21 year olds.

Whatever I think about why they were in a position to lose their limbs is ancillary. Today they were out there among the 26,000 completing a longer 10-miler than I ever will. I hope they had a good race. I'll look for them again next year.

No comments: