5.13.2002

aYesterday I picked up the paper and started worrying about the national debt. I don't ever worry about the national debt when I'm not reading the paper. The conclusion to draw from this is:
a) I don't worry enough about the national debt
b) I worry about the national debt in proportion to my susceptibility to national press coverage of domestic affairs
c) I need to turn in my ghetto card
d) I just started contributing to a retirement plan, and realize I'm gonna need some government support one of these days
e) any and/or all of the above, except "c"

This is nuts. Up in New York City, there's this huge billboard that constantly updates the national debt. It's right across from the HBO headquarters (42nd Street?). Anyway, there's the constant re-calculation going on 24/7/365. The kicker is the little "your portion" calculation that divides the debt by the estimated U.S. population.

I don't even like to open up my credit card bill at the end of each month. Why the hell do I need to see "my portion" of the national debt increasing second by second?

Share my outrage! Go to a site that tracks the national debt and see for yourself what a huge hole we're in.




No comments: